KEYWORD RESEARCH: Using the Google Keyword Planner Pt. 1&2 [74,75]

 74. KEYWORD RESEARCH: Keyword Research: Using the Google Keyword Planner Pt. 1

Use in the Keyword Research & Planning Stages

  • Discover New Keywords - For Keyword Research Stage
  • Get Search Volume & Forecasts - For Keyword Planning Stage




  • Avg. Monthly Competitors: While these #s are hardly accurate, they are useful *in relation to one another*. So use this not to predict searches, but to compare to one another.
  • Competition: Basically ignore this column. How competitive it is, shouldn't deter you or motivate you.
HIGHEST MONTHLY SEARCHES
  • Go through the top *highest monthly searches* bc these are the ones if we can make profitable.
  • Also saves you time from going through 500 keywords.
PIVOT TABLE: TOTAL ESTIMATED MONTHLY SEARCHES FOR YOUR PLAN

  • What can I expect to happen, if I have a healthy budget, and I add these keywords into my account? 
  • Example:
    • Let's say I could win 27, 000 impressions for these 26 keywords, if we gave the full range of our budget that would allow us to win all of these.
      • 1st. We need to know CTR
        • If we already have our historical data for a certain adgroup's CTR, it shouldn't be that difficult to get another estimate. 
        • Let's say our historic CTR is 3.75%.
          • What we do is we take that estimated sum of average monthly searches (27K) and multiply that by 3.75% and we get 930 estimated clicks. 
          • So now we know out of the keywords we've added to this plan, we'd say to the client, this is what we could estimate for the clicks and looks a lot more professional and thought through. 

PART 2


  • Awareness: Cognitive 
    • Becoming aware of 2 separate things. Much more cognitive. 
    • 1. Becoming aware of the problem you want to solve.
    • 2. Becoming aware of the solution.
      • Example: Poppin - Let's say I am becoming aware that my back hurts - I'm aware there is something lacking and I have a frustration. I am aware my back hurts. And a solution would be, "I should get a new office chair good for back pain." 
        • This is less of an emotional response, than it is cognitive. 
        • *It's hard to get someone to buy from you bc it is only cognitive and not emotional - they are not expressing interest that they are ready to purchase.
    • Really is a no-go for advertising bc there's so little emotion in it. 
    • Maybe I am researching. All the stages that go into becoming aware of a problem. 
  • Interest: Emotional
    • Now that I know I know I have a problem and I have potential solutions (a chair) I know *WANT* and *I am motivated* to pursue potential solution. 
    • The interest / want phase is where you can start making money and customers. 
    • This should still be Educational Content, bc they still haven't pursued any actions to buying, they're just more interested in buying.
    • FOGG BEHAVIORAL MODEL
      • B = Motivation, Ability, Prompt (Trigger)
      • When a person begins to be interested in a solution, how fast they they move through the buyer's funnel will be affected by you and your ability to trigger them into the next stages of the funnel, Shop and Buy from your brand. 



  • Shop [PHYSICAL]
    • I *WANT* and I'm in the Process of Looking.
    • If Awareness is Cognitive, and Interest is Emotional, Shopping is Physical. It's a physical manifestation of the previous 2 steps. I became cognitively aware, I became emotionally interested, and now I am physically looking for it.
      • I'm evaluating, comparison shopping, speaking to friends, looking at reviews and testimonials, looking at prices.
      • I've chosen the solution, the vendor, the product. I'm committed to a solution. 
  • Buy [DECISION]
    • The final step - the culmination of the final three.



KEYWORD EXAMPLES REFLECTIVE OF THE BUYER'S FUNNEL

  • Let's say someone is becoming aware they have the problem of back pain so they go to Google to learn more about it. And they type in back pain. 
    • This person is in the awareness state. They are becoming aware of potential solutions. 
  • Someone searches for chairs for bad backs. 
    • This could be someone in the interest phase or the awareness phase. 
      • Awareness - If they are trying to find out of if a chair can help a bad back.
      • Interest - They could be looking to find chairs that are for people w bad backs (somewhat moving into the shop stage).
  • Someone searches for buy desk chairs.
    • They are in the Shopping stage of the funnel.
    • They aren't expressing the problem or solution like buy desk chair for bad back. Yet still, using the word buy which means they indicate they are ready to buy. 



  • CTR increases as you go down the funnel.
  • Awareness has the lowest CTR.
  • Once your at SHOP phase your CTR will be the highest. 
The Awareness Stage is so ambiguous. There's so many things they may be searching for. In this case, back pain - it could be worth it to send them to some educational content for Top of Funnel. 
  • They could be searching Back Pain - and that could mean 50 different things. Poppin is only one of them. You could b looking for a doctor, exercise ball, a better mattress, a foam roller, etc. 
  • Maybe 1 out of 1000 clicks will convert at TOF Awareness. And 1 out of 20 Clicks will convert for BOF Shop / Buy. 



Comments